welcome

Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Sensitive Subject Proposition 8

As most of you know, I really try to stay quiet about most of my beliefs. I don't like pushing things on others, and my beliefs are very dear to me, so I rather keep them to myself. However, I really feel strongly about sharing my thoughts on the dividing Proposition 8.

I have dear friends who are gay, lesbians, and bisexuals, and I love them dearly and believe full heatedly that if they are in a committed relationship, they should have the rights to Health care, Benefits, and Beneficiary Rights. I don't judge or look at them as any lesser of a person by any means, and they know that. That is why this is difficult for me to write. I hope this does help with the divide and pray that we can all find peace with this.

Proposition 8 is one of the MOST misunderstood propositions, in my belief, that history has had. I know that it was hard to understand completely, and a lot of people think it just has to do with gay marriage. Yes, that was part of it, but, it is much more than that.

Massachusetts passed a law years ago that stemmed from the Catholic Church's belief in not allowing homosexual couple to adopt. The law that was passed made it illegal for them not to adopt to homosexuals. The Church didn't budge in their beliefs and was no longer able to adopt to ANYONE. This has a similarity to this proposition. Let me explain.

Whether you are Catholic, Jewish, LDS, Muslim, Hindu, most Protestant Sects, or really any religion at all, you know there are commandments, rules, expectations, and other things that are sacred to each sect. Most of these religions, also will not allow someone of another sect, or even in there sect that is not "worthy" (each definition being different) are not allowed to be married in their Synagogues, Mosques, Temples, Cathedrals or other. This is where Prop 8 steps in. It protects religious sects from not being FORCED to allow just anybody, gay, straight or other, from being able to marry where they want. I know that is hard for some, but this is where Church and State needs to butt out. Religions are based on beliefs of a Higher Power giving us guidance. If we take away all consequence, guidance, revelation, etc., we take away the fundamentals of religion. We live in America, founded on freedom of religion, and Prop 8 not passing would take away religious freedoms, making churches non tax exempt, and making them state owned essentially.

I love my freedoms, especially my freedom of religion. It is very dear to me, and I want to protect that always. I wish there were a way to make all the bad feelings of this Proposition and members, and leaders of all the religions would be healed. I have hope that there is, or I wouldn't have written this and made me vulnerable to your comments, beliefs, disagreements, and other. I believe the Temples, Synagogues, Mosques, and Cathedrals are sacred places where members of those sects may go to find guidance, peace and higher knowledge. I don't want to see those sacred places to become just another place for anybody to go. I know that may seem mean, and unfair, but, I live my life to be worthy of attending my Temple, it gives me a sense of purpose, and helps me better myself.

This is so hard. Feelings are being tormented, and families and friends are dividing. I have heard people doubt their prophets, and leaders, and my heart is breaking over that. I believe in equality, and to me, equality is freedom of religion to all. There needs to be a separate Proposition that allows for equality for homosexual couples to have benefits, but religion in marriage is sacred, and needs to be respected. There are beautiful places, including some churches and synagogues that allow gay marriages, and that's fine. But just as people viewed those for Prop 8 of pushing their beliefs, and pressuring others, or what not, the same is happening for those against it, but in my opinion a lot worse. I didn't hear of anyone going to their places of worship, or sacred buildings and holding belligerent protests. But for the last 3 days, people have been picketing and protesting various Temples in Utah and California, disrespecting sacred places.

We need to heal from these pains, and become united. If the majority speaks we need to respect that. I wasn't a fan of McCain or Obama, BUT, I respect both for their efforts, and President Elect Obama is our new President and I will support him. This is what makes America beautiful and promised. I support my Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson as well, and believe and know that he is a Man of God, and receives revelation from Our Father in Heaven.

Throughout history, religious views haven't always been popular, remember a man named Jesus? Religion isn't meant to be a crowd pleas er, it is meant to give us guidance and protection so we may return to a Heaven. I know My Father in Heaven loves every one of his children and no matter if they love Him or not, follow Him or not, respect Him or not. He doesn't want us to shun or judge others, and I will not look at anyone as anything less of me. We are living in the Last Days, and the Prophets of old in all religions have warned us that their will be great divides among family and friends. We are seeing this now, and I refuse to be a part of that divide. I love and respect all my family and friends, whether I agree or not with their views and beliefs. It's not my place to judge, but it is my place to protect my beliefs.

This is such a sensitive subject and I can only hope and pray that this came across the way I truly meant it to be. I don't mean to sound anything but sincere, and true. I wish there was a way, and I believe there is, that we can have equality for those who have alternative lifestyles, without changing or disrespecting religions and their beliefs.

I welcome your opinions, and comments, and hope maybe that this may have helped some of you to understand why this was an important proposition to pass. It wasn't meant to segregate, it was meant to protect. May God bless us, protect us, and bring us together again.

Apparently California does have a Domestic Partnership Law already that allows them to Health care, Benefits, etc. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=00001-01000&file=297-297.5

6 comments:

The Queen P said...

Tiff, that was beautiful. It's exactly how I felt. I'm so proud of you, because I know how hard it is to approach this sensitive subject. You are awesome, and I always love you!

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts in a well worded, gentle way. I pray our great nation will find unity and peace.

Keli said...

Last night our church building and several others in our area were vandalized. No doubt a result of hurt feelings from Proposition 8. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is indeed a volatile issue, but people need to approach these things with decency and civility. I only wish the people who vandalized my place of worship had done that.

Unknown said...

I fully agree with you and thank you for putting those feelings into words. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, which makes our nation great, and in the church it really is only a matter of following God by following the prophet. This would solve a lot of tender issues that divide us.

Mandee Lue said...

This was great to read, Tiff - it sucked me in in the first paragraph. Thanks for some great thoughts to reflect on!

Tiffanie said...

Thank you for all the comments, I welcome them whole heartedly. I just felt so compelled to stand up for what I believe in, and it felt great!